Admitted VALOR Student Checklist

Follow these steps after being admitted to GW


1. Contact a Department of Veterans Affairs counselor at 1-888-442-4551 to discuss your education benefits.

2. Complete the VA's Application. The VA requires you to apply to start using your education benefit. Use the VA's online application which may be quicker than sending in an application to the VA. 

3. Submit your Certificate of Eligibility to us. After the VA processes your application, they will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” detailing your education benefit. Submit a scanned copy to the GW Office of VALOR Student Services via our email at

4. Fill out the FAFSA. Every student, regardless if you are using VA benefits, should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify for additional student aid.  Check with the Office of Student Financial Assistance for aid eligibility or if you have any questions regarding the FAFSA.

5. Register for courses. Click here to Register for courses.

6. Submit your Request for Certification to VALOR Student Services. As soon as you register for courses, be sure to complete your Request for Certification through the GWeb Information System by going to the Veteran Menu in "Student Records and Registration" and selecting “Veteran Certification Request.” If GWEB is not working, you can fill out a paper GW Request for Certification Form and submit it to our office as a scanned document using our email at

7. Optional: Apply to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. If you are electing Post 9/11 GI Bills benefits and believe you are 100% eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP), please complete and submit the GW Request for Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) Form.  This form may be submitted online through the GWeb Information System by going to the Veteran Menu in "Student Records and Registration" and selecting “Yellow Ribbon Program Request.” YRP participants should submit this GW YRP form each year of attendance.

8. Attend a GW VALOR orientation & benefit info session at the beginning of the semester. All New VALOR Students should attend a VALOR Orientation and benefit info session in order to gain a full understanding of your education benefit, to meet the VALOR staff, and to have any of your questions answered. The main orientation will occur during the 2016 VALOR Tailgate & Resource Fair. Please make sure to RSVP. Go to for more information and to sign up. 

9. If you change the number of credits that you have registered for, you will also need to complete a new GW Request for Certification Form through GWeb.


Important Additional Notes:

 - Veteran education benefits are certified on a semesterly basis – be sure to complete the GW Request for Certification Form before semester through GWeb.

 - The university adds a "Voluntary Library Gift" to all student accounts each semester. As this is a voluntary gift, you may "Opt-Out" of it each semester. For more information on how to opt out of the library gift, go to the GW Student Accounts Office Library Gift Website. Please note that you must manually opt out every semester. While exceptions to this rule has been made in the past, our office can no longer request exceptions. It is reccomended that you check your student account each semester to process the opt-out and to check for any other issues. 

-If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application).